Tuesday 14 January 2014

THE IMMINENT WORSHIPPER THIS SEASON; MNQOBI NXUMALO






                           

My first encounter with this young talented musician was him being featured by a group called Zeal, and to be honest at first he didn’t really impress me. I just saw a Tonex want to be, and which for me was a “been there done that, let’s move on” attitude towards him.  I’m sure he must have read my mind because it happened that I bump into him again during the preparations for the JOY OF JAZZ, and this time he sort of got my attention and I was hungry to actually hear what this boy is all about. My curiosity was finally satisfied when I officially heard Mnqobi singing at some show I attended, that was the day I gave him a standing ovation and I had to write about this talent which is about hit South Africa with a hurricane of melodic magnitude. What an honour it was for me to speak to Mnqobi Nxumalo.

HOW IT STARTED...

Mom used to make us sing a lot as a family, whether you wanted to or not and it became more of a lifestyle to us. They would gather together as elders of the house around her sewing machine, sometimes she played guitar with her friends from church. I started in school doing backings for artists, than got heavy in production when I got to tertiary. I then took it outside the house where I started singing at revivals, that is where I got introduce to the stage and have been on that stage since then till today. I am a self taught musician with no formal musical qualification.

BREAKING INTO THE MUSIC INDUSTRY...

I would like to think that I am having a progressive break, level by level. I’m still breaking in even now but the first big one has to be when a friend of mine Sizwe Magwaza took me to a production company in Northcliff and the Executive Producer undoubtedly took interest and invested in my work.

2011 I released my first debut album titled ‘’ He’s a wonder’’.  I am currently working on my second album and I decided not to time frame it because it so much more complex than my first one but definitely this year I will release it. I do not want to put myself under pressure because it’s going to compromise my quality.

JOYOUS CELEBRATION...




Well Mr Mkhize has always had an ear for my music, so one day he contacted me and told me to come through. The Joyous experience is a lot of fun while you learn a lot, and being there is more like reuniting with family for me as I have worked with some of the members at Joyous, I’ve known some of them way before we got there. On Joyous 18 I sing a song there called ‘’ Angeke ngisuke’’.

GREATEST MOMENT IN MY CAREER...

I once had a chance to work with Juanita Bynum and Jarion Hamm. I also had an opportunity to work with Byron Cage but I had to cancel two days before the gig due to being sick and voiceless.

DULL MOMENT IN MY CAREER

This happened when I just joined Joyous and was before the Rewind recording, my doctor had instructed me not to sing for a few months but because of the  love I have for what I do, I just soldiered on even though I struggled till the day of the recording but I made it through. As an artist your voice being threatened is the worst thing that could ever happen to your career.

 MNQOBI FROM HERE...

 

 


 

 
By faith I wish to leave S.A and go work overseas, I work better abroad than I do here at home sadly. Before I leave I would like to have my own production hub. This year I want to do a show, actually I will do it because I feel it is long overdue. HARD WORK for me this year to reach the next dimension of my career, and definitely be the best of me.

Blog Powered by;








 Please like the page Musiq in Me on facebook

 

7 comments:

  1. Real, simple and straight to the point:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep up the good work Homeboy... so proud to have shared the stage wid you...... Samkelow Bittersoul Gumede

    ReplyDelete
  3. The day you leave this country will be one of the saddest days in my life. Love you, Qhozas.<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. GO MNQOBI! You have proud and loyal UJ fans, Danny's friends, and the like.

    Image Masilela

    ReplyDelete
  5. wel I hev to say my first encounter wt Mnqobi was thru Joyous C....bt d moment I heard him sing, I js knew he was gud n has a lot cumin....we proud of yu Mkhatshwa, wishing yu ol d best n blessings even wen yy finally go abroad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for blessing us Mnqobi,I never had of u before but the moment I heard your voice in joyous 19,I was so blessed!!may God meet fulfil all your wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am doing so much info dugging about Mnqobi lately and so far I'm super impressed. I admire this guy's dedication to music.

    ReplyDelete